FAQ: Commonwealth's Attorney PDF Print E-mail

What do I do if I have been the victim of a crime?
Immediately contact the appropriate law enforcement agency. Preserve any evidence for collection by the responding deputies or officers and give them the names of all witnesses. If you need additional services, contact the Washington County Victim/Witness Assistance Program at (276) 676-4200. You may also call to speak with a prosecutor at (276) 676-6291 or come by to discuss your case.

What do I do if I receive a subpoena to appear in Court?
Make a note of the time and date and be sure to appear. We cannot help you unless you are in Court. If you have a problem with the Court date call the Office of the Commonwealth's Attorney at (276) 676-6291.

Can you help me with my lawsuit or give me personal legal advice?
No. The Office of the Commonwealth's Attorney has jurisdiction only in criminal cases, that is, cases in which the defendant potentially could receive a punishment such as imprisonment or a fine. We do, however, seek restitution where appropriate.

Do I need an appointment to speak with a prosecutor?
No. We have an open-door policy. However, the Commonwealth's Attorney and her Assistant Commonwealth's Attorneys are in Court nearly every day, so it is best to call ahead.

Return to Top